A Global Methodist Congregation

Our Story

How it all started...

     In 1843, before our present sanctuary was constructed, Methodists first met in a wooden building located at the south end of Chestnut Street, and moved in 1853 to a brick two-story building near the corner of Maple and Bridge Streets.    Both of the buildings were built by Daniel Pratt.  Church services were held upstairs, while stores were on the first floor.  The sanctuary in the brick building could seat 700 people, and had frescos painted on the walls.  In 1911 this site was transferred to the gin company, and the congregation voted to build on the corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets.
     Groundbreaking for the current church building took place May 4, 1912.  In July, 1913, a cornerstone of Georgia marble was laid.   In the copper box, placed inside are church literature, an 1850 Bible of Daniel Pratt, visiting cards and newspapers of the time.  Inscribed on the cornerstone is the sentence: "This Temple succeeds the one built and given by D. Pratt, 1883."
     Until completion of the sanctuary, the congregation met in the courtroom of the county court house, paying for the lights and fuel used during worship.  The first service in the new sanctuary was held Easter Sunday, April 6, 1913.
 In 1948, the building needed some face-lifting, and $10,000 was spent on painting and patching.  A complete renovation was carried out in 1964, when the present balcony was constructed, the choir loft enlarged, and the covered walkway built.
     The Educational  Building was added in 1957-58, with an open house heralding this new facility on Sunday, July 27, 1958.  This building served as the worship center while the 1964 renovations to the sanctuary were completed.   This facility has undergone several changes and in 2003 was renovated to include the Pastoral and Program staff offices.  It was renamed Wesley Hall.
     In 1988, the congregation voted to begin a building program to add a much needed Family  Life Center and to renovate portions of the church to accommodate rapid growth.  At this time the Educational  Building was remodeled, with the kitchen being moved into the new center.  Dedication of the Family Life  Center was held in September, 1989.  This facility is now known as Pratt Hall. In 2002 the Epworth Building was completed to be used for the Children and Youth Ministry as well as the Early Learning Academy.
     In 2020, the church began a nearly $2M major capital campaign project to completely renovate the sanctuary building including new stained glass windows, floors, paint, lighting and significant sound/acoustical improvements.

Where we are headed...

     After 178 years in the Prattville community, God is still at work in mighty ways within the congregation at Prattville First Methodist Church. Our campus is significantly different than our first location near the heart of downtown Prattville, but over those many years what has remained the same is the passion with which the church has sought to grow in our faith and serve the world around us. No matter if we find our place in a traditional or a modern worship service, our hope is to experience the power of God's amazing grace in union with the Church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations, and races.

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together.